2018 Workshop Schedule
Please read Workshop Registration Policies below
July 20, 2018
The July 19th lecture will be given by Annette Ornellas of Southwind Design (http://www.southwindquilts.com/). In her lecture, “Dimensional Curved Piecing or Peeled-Back Patchwork”, Annette will describe her easy layering technique which makes lovely dimensional curves. It’s like Straight Line Piecing with Curved Results! In the Friday, June 20th workshop, “Waves of Glory” , Annette will show you how to achieve curved designs using her technique of dimensional curved piecing while making a patriotic quilt in one of two sizes (54½” x 66½” – 12″ block OR 37½” x 45½” – 8″ block). The workshop will take place at our meeting place, Zion Lutheran Church on Book Rd. Doors open at 9 a.m. and the workshop begins at 9:30.
August 17, 2018
Award winning quilt artist and author Melinda Bula (www.melindabula.com) will present a lecture and workshop for our August 16th meeting. Her lecture will be “The Power and Secret of Color “. The workshop on Friday, August 17th will be on her Fabulous Fusible Flowers technique where Melinda will show us how to shade flower designs to achieve realistic results. The pattern we have chosen for the workshop is “Zinnia” (25″ x 27″). Kits will be available in the following colors: pink, red, purple, orange and yellow and will be available on day of workshop. Cost of the kit is $65.00. The kit includes 18 Hoffman batiks for the flower plus the pattern which includes a large layout guide and instruction booklet with all the pattern pieces drawn for you. (Kits are not required. You can choose your own fabrics using the color chart on her website as a guide; it can be found on the supply list page for the Zinnia – https://www.melindabula.com/workshop-ckof. Without the kit, pattern price is $15.00.) The workshop does not cover the thread painting Melinda uses to quilt the flower but she will briefly discuss it in class. This technique can be viewed on her YouTube video where she shows how to do the stitching on the Zinnia. It’s an excellent video and clearly shows how it’s done. See it at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HNhTcFBr_A . The workshop will take place at our meeting place, Zion Lutheran Church on Book Rd. Doors open at 9 a.m. and the workshop begins at 9:30.
September 21, 2018
Penny Sturges of Quilts Illustrated will present a bag workshop – details to follow.
October 19, 2018
Jacquie Gerine will give a workshop entitled “Creative Quilting with the Walking Foot” – details to follow
November 16, 2018
Karen Kay Buckley workshop – details to follow
Workshop Registration Policies
GUILD MEETING GUESTS: Non-members are subject to a “Guest Fee” of $10.
WORKSHOP COSTS: $50-Members, $60-Non-Members, plus the cost of a class kit if one is required. Fee includes lunch.
- Members can register for any workshop, at any time.
- Registration is open to non-members four months (120 days) prior to the workshop date.
- Payment is required to register for any workshop.
- Supply Lists are provided by the Programs Committee. It is the responsibility of the student to obtain a supply list and bring these items to the workshop.
In general, workshop fees are non-refundable unless the workshop is cancelled by the instructor or if an individual from the waiting list is able to attend or if you can find a replacement.
Workshops are mainly held at local area quilt shops.
- Please turn off cell phones!
- Arrive early enough to set up your sewing station so that the teacher may begin the class on time.
- Bring your own equipment—extension cords, surge protectors, cutting mats, etc. Irons and ironing boards are usually pre-arranged.
- When the teacher is demonstrating or speaking to the group, please STOP sewing and LISTEN. You may learn something you need to know.
- If lunch is not provided, return from lunch at the designated time so that the teacher can continue the workshop as planned.
- When the day is over, stop sewing when requested by the workshop facilitator so that the area can be returned as found. Clean up your own sewing station.